The Ford Anglia appeared in Britain in 1939. It was a compact car with a long career. During its production period, over 1,594,000 cars were produced. The end of the Ford Anglia’s career was marked by the Ford Escort production.
Ford Anglia E04A
The first Ford Anglia was launch just before the Second World War. The car was introduced in 1939 and for the next 20 years, it became a basis of Ford’s model range. Actually, the car was based on its predecessor, the old 7Y 8hp model. It was a very basic and simple car with mechanical brakes and a side valve engine.
The Ford Anglia E04A was a two-door car with four seats. It had simple equipment and trim, that is why the price was as low as it was possible. During the 9 years of production, more than 55, 000 Ford Anglia’s E04A were built.
Ford Anglia E494A
The first Anglia model was updated by Ford in 1948. It was still based on its pre-war predecessor, the E04A model. Frankly speaking, there was not much new about the model as it was designed to fill the gap until the beginning of the production of the 100E series in 1953. The only notable changes were made to the front end styling and the mirrors. Also, now the standard car was equipped with a second windscreen wiper. Though the model was simple and basic, it was quite popular. Even after the beginning of sales of a new 100E, the Anglia remained in the market. Its form was changed to classic one, as the 103E Popular. The career of E494A lasted until 1959. So during the period of its production, about 109,000 E494A were built.
Ford Anglia 100E
1953 marked a new life for Ford Anglia range. As the company saw the success of new Consul and Zephyr models, the decision to apply the same engineering and styling principles to Ford Anglia was made.
The code 100E was given both to Anglia and Perfect versions. Still, it was exactly Anglia that featured renewed unitary body and modern styling. It looked very modern, though the mechanics remained as simple as it was before.
Despite it was still a very simple car, the Ford Anglia 100E enjoyed popularity. Before the new model, the Anglia 105E was launched, 345,841 100E’s had been built.
Ford Anglia 105E
The fourth model in Anglia’s range was introduced in 1959. The car had an American-influenced styling: sweeping nose line and, when it comes to De Luxe versions, a full-width slanted chrome grille placed between headlamps. Also, in 1961 the estate model joined the range.
Still, one of the most significant changes made to new Anglia model was its new engine. It was a 997 cc overhead valve straight-four with an oversquare “Kent” cylinder bore. Also, the car had a four-speed manual gearbox with synchromesh that was replaced by all-synchromesh box later.
In October 1962, driven by twins Tony and Michael Brookes, the Anglia 105E fitted with the £13 Ford Performance Kit, captured six International Class G World Records at the Montlhéry Autodrome situated in France, near Paris. The car reached 83.47 mph (134.33 km/h). Despite such success, the Anglia 105E was overshadowed by the Cortina.
Anglia Super 123E
The new Anglia model, 123E Anglia Super, was a car with a more powerful, 1198 cc engine and had some other refinements. It was introduced in 1962 and replaced the line of Prefects. It is worth to mention, that towards the end of the run, Ford decided to play with colors and Anglia had become available in “Blue Mink” and “Venetian Gold” solutions of metallic paint. The new Anglia had various models, starting from the Standard one to Super with a contrasted colored roof. Also, there were optional extras such as mechanical upgrade that turned Deluxe to a Super.
Top questions about Ford Anglia (FAQ):
- What year was the Ford Anglia first produced?
- What country was the Ford Anglia originally manufactured in?
- What is the maximum horsepower of a Ford Anglia?
- How many doors does the Ford Anglia typically have?
- What is the top speed of a Ford Anglia?
- What type of engine does the Ford Anglia have?
- Does the Ford Anglia have a manual or automatic transmission?
- What is the fuel efficiency of a Ford Anglia?
- What are the different body styles available for the Ford Anglia?
- How many passengers can the Ford Anglia seat?
- Is the Ford Anglia considered a classic car?
- What is the original color of the Ford Anglia?
- How many generations of Ford Anglia were produced?
- Does the Ford Anglia have power steering?
- What is the typical weight of a Ford Anglia?
- Are there aftermarket modifications available for the Ford Anglia?
- Can the Ford Anglia be used as a daily driver?
- Does the Ford Anglia have air conditioning?
- What safety features does the Ford Anglia have?
- How many Ford Anglias are estimated to still be on the road today?
- Another questions